Thanks to the support of our project supervisor and physics teacher, Dr Schmidt, we were able to compare the sensors we had programmed in the past weeks with more accurate measuring devices for air pressure, humidity and temperature at our school. To do this, we carried out several series of measurements in which we read out the data from our sensors in parallel to the respective measuring device of the value being checked. Afterwards, we calculated an average value for each sensor read out and compared it with that of the more accurate measuring instrument as a reference value. In case of larger deviations from the determined guideline value, we can only use a corresponding factor in the software for the respective sensor to adjust the values obtained to those of the more accurate measuring instrument and thus simultaneously adjust all our sensors to each other.
As we were able to measure a high relative humidity of almost 85% outside today due to the rainy weather in Baden-Württemberg, which contrasted with the internal humidity in the school building of about 35%, no further experimental setup was necessary to obtain several series of measurements with different values. The calibration of the temperature sensors was also easy to manage at the frosty outdoor temperatures of 6° C.
For the air pressure, however, we relied on the use of a vacuum bell jar in order to obtain further values besides the 968 hPa at the height of our school. However, we did not have enough time for this, so we will complete the calibration of the air pressure sensor in the near future.
Furthermore, during today's series of tests we noticed errors in the programme for checking the individual components, which we will correct in the coming weeks.